An Old Fashioned is smooth, rich, bold, and aromatic, with a warm, spicy sweetness.
- 2 ounces bourbon or rye whiskey
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- 3 dashes aromatic bitters
- Orange peel
- Add a large ice cube to a rocks or Old Fashioned glass
- Pour 2 oz Bourbon or rye whiskey
- Pour 1 oz Simple syrup
- Add 3 dashes of aromatic bitters
- Stir gently—enough to mix and chill the ingredients without overly diluting the cocktail
- Express an orange peel over the glass and rub the oil around the rim. Note: “Express” is a fancy way of saying “squeeze.”
- Garnish with the orange peel.